Goodwill Is for Everyone!
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging
For more than 100 years, Goodwill of Southwestern Pennsylvania has fulfilled its mission of helping people improve their quality of life through work and related services. The work we do eliminates barriers that prevent anyone from the opportunities before them in reaching their fullest potential. Our organization’s mission supports our vision.
Our vision is to be the region's premier human service organization offering exceptional services. We will be satisfied only when all persons have the opportunity to achieve success in their pursuit of meaningful work or other quality of life experiences.
At Goodwill, our greatest asset is our Team members. We believe their diverse set of skills and lived experiences makes our organization stronger. Our Team members reflect the communities we serve and demonstrate a curiosity for learning and a willingness to share open dialogue that supports diversity and inclusion. Together, we foster a culture of belonging, one where everyone is valued for who they are. This culture serves as the foundation for our organization’s mission and vision.
In the first year of our formal Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB) Journey, we have:
- Developed and implemented a comprehensive three-year DEIB strategy as part of our 2020-2022 Strategic Plan that creates a system of accountability and measures our progress.
- Created our first Director of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging leadership staff position that reports directly to the President/CEO.
- Created an employee driven DEIB Taskforce that meets monthly and is open to all Goodwill Team members.
- Provided learning opportunities at all levels of the organization, including unconscious bias education, which is a requirement for all Team members.
- Committed to listening to our Team members through various open forums such as our DEIB taskforce, Town Hall meetings, and Open Conversation sessions.
- Committed to redesigning our recruiting and hiring practices to eliminate bias and to diversify our Team members throughout the organization.
- Added “Belonging” to our organizational values to reaffirm our commitment and hold ourselves accountable.
At Goodwill, we will not tolerate racism or discriminatory behavior in any form. We are committed to working with others in the community to accelerate needed change and advance policies and practices that condemn and combat racism, celebrate diversity, and advance inclusion and belonging for all.